Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fire up the rumor mill . . .

the Wolfingers are moving back to Central Nebraska.
but, we've been down this road before.

We understand it is hard to find logic in what Jake and I do.  In fact it is hard to for us to describe it. We are rewriting the handbook for getting a start in Agriculture.  My family has been on the same farmstead for over 200 years. Jake is the third generation on his farm.  We have been searching for the answers to finding a home and making a start in Agriculture for almost 10 years.  Our families don't have that guide book.  Jake and I have decided to rewrite the family handbook for getting started as  cattlemen. Of course if you have the handbook, please send it our way.

Rule #1 - You may not get your start in your parents back yard.
     "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." 
                                                                                                   - Maya Angelou
Rule #2 - Your future may not look like you planned.
     "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for                     us." - Joseph Campbell

Rule #3 - There will be challenges and set backs.
       I promise to blog some of these challenges.  I have received two phone calls in the last week from former students wondering what is happening in my world.  That may not be entirely true, I think they really called with their own dilimas and they were looking for advice. They read my blog and think because I only share the highlights, that they are not normal for having "challenges".  I don't share many challenges or set backs because they are depressing, sad and sometimes embarrassing.  However, because of a couple conversations I feel that maybe these depressing, sad and sometimes embarrassing moments are learning experiences and the reality that no one has a perfect life is inspirational at some level to "keep on truckin".

Rule #4 - Learn as much as you can, seek ways to find skills.  I promise these skills will continue to save you money and make you money.  Jake has learned a lot of skills he carries around with him.  The reason we were able to buy and restart the feedyard was because Jake can, do basic electric, carpentry, pluming, welding, mechanic work, and he knows how to feed cattle.  Those combined with the fact that he is a life long learner.

Rule #5 - There are no mistakes - only opportunities to learn and move on.

Rule #6 - Taking calculated risks to build wealth is not a negative thing.  I am well aware I am not a financial advisor. However, America is being painted as a place that is telling young people to pay off all debt and live only on the cash you have. I may eat my words, but I do know, that no one is building business, by paying off debt and not investing into their business. Be smart.

I am aware there have been several rumors and interesting stories about the Wolfinger Family and our adventures.  Some of them true stories, some elaborated truths, some falsifications of hopelessness.

I have decided to share the ins and outs of the move to Nebraska, the move back to Ohio and and the move back across the Mississippi River, right here on fortheloveofbeef. Please feel free to put the rumors to rest, ask your own questions, and share your opinions.

Big Question #1 Why did you move to Nebraska?
For a bunch of reasons and depending on the day you ask, that will depend on the answer you get? The main reasons urbanization, our family farms not big enough to support our family, to build a future for our girls. Rumors that may be partially true are we like adventure and we are partially crazy.

Big Question #2 Who's idea was it to move to Nebraska?
We were asked this question for the first time on video.  I was taken back, because the truth is it was Jake's dream.  I didn't want that to be taken as I wanted nothing to do with it.  I like the idea and jumped on board (first with one foot).  When Jake first mentioned the idea Jacie was one and I was loving my job at Logan High School.  I went that summer looking for a farm in southern Iowa and Northern Missouri, anyway.  It proved to be a fabulous family vacation. I was nursing Jacie, so we stopped every four or so hours to feed and change Jacie.  We usually stopped at equipment dealerships, Jake walked around looking at equipment and I fed Jacie.  It worked out wonderfully as the midwest is not short on equipment dealerships.  These summer trips really turned up nothing.  We did find a few farms (that we couldn't afford).  The one we were absolutely in love with flooded the following spring when the Mississippi went over it's banks.  Oooops, thank God we were saved from that potential disaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment