Wednesday, April 17, 2013

oh, for the love of beef


Life has thrown me a couple of curve balls the last couple weeks, leaving me a little stressed.  Possibly the most troubling thing about life's curve balls are that they leave you thinking me, me, me.  However, once you are able to get up dust yourself off and lift your head up to realize there are so many other people needing more thought and prayer than me, me, me.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone has not been touched in one way or another by the Boston Marathon tragedy. It is becoming harder and harder to understand these acts of terrorism.  I don't pretend to understand what it might take to train for a marathon and maybe taking my spare money and vacation time to travel to Boston to run the marathon, all to be a victim of senseless violence.

We were sitting in an Ohio Cattlemen's Board meeting with the accountant last week going over the yearly financials when the line item for the Beef Team came up.  The accountant paused looked around the room and said "so you guys run?"  There was an even longer pause (as people looked around the room of beef producers, wondering do we look like runners, does this guy really think we run) until Bill Sexton laughed and said no "we pay people to run for us".  Laughter erupted around the room.

When my life gets stressful, I often like to honor others.  Tonight I honor Team BEEF USA , especially those of you who ran in the Boston Marathon on behalf of beef producers.









1 comment:

  1. Mizoram is a state in the country INDIA..... Almost all the states have banned beef... while some other states keep on following irrespective of the forced rule of the government....In Mizoram, beef remains the second most consumed meat after pork. Cattle is imported from other states such as Meghalaya and Assam and also from Myanmar, with which the state shares more than 400 kms of un-fenced border. The state does not export the meat elsewhere. According to the state Animal Husbandry, dairy farmingand Veterinary Department, the total production of beef in 2013-14 was 3,459 tonnes, rising marginally to 3,587 tonnes the following year. Statistics show the beef consumption within the March-June period this year was almost 1,260 tonnes. The consumption of pork is, however, almost twice that of beef. The main festive season comprising of Christmas and New Year, usually sees a spike in meat consumption, including beef. Currently, beef sells at Rs 350 per kilogram in Aizawl markets, while pork sells for Rs 250 per kg and poultry sells for Rs 240 per kg. Interestingly, the state however has no statistics for the number of young animals such as calves slaughtered for meat since locals traditionally do not eat meat of non-adult animals. -

    ReplyDelete