Thursday, October 25, 2012

What kids should know about Politics.

For those of you who have grown children. Do you remember the days of driving in the car and from the backseat, comes the hardest question you have ever had to answer?  You are thankful they can't see your face.  This morning while I was driving the girls to school, Jacie says "a girl on the bus said if Obama gets elected he is going to kill babies, but if Romney does, he won't".  Jaelin then blurts out "oh no, is he going to kill my baby dolls?" Jacie looks at Jaelin and says "no, they are already dead".  Then Jaelin asks me "is that true?"  At this point there was a break in the conversation for me to take back control of this dialogue.  I have spent the rest of the day calling important people in my life, wondering what to do about this.  Jake - laughed.  I was not amused.  My Mom said I should go to the school. :)  I have decided I really need to think about what is important for our children to know about politics and government.  This is what I have come up with so far.  What do you think is important for our children to understand in elementary school?

1.  I want our girls to have a good understanding of the Bible, specifically the 10 Commandments and the history of God's Laws. This may work for now - 10 Commandments for Kids. I hope they can understand the important right they have to worship God and that not everyone has that same freedom.

2.  I want them to study and understand the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

3.  I want them to understand their freedom of speech, however with this knowledge they should also understand that people can agree to disagree.  I also want them to respect the leadership, despite who they gave their vote to.

4. I want them to be able to listen to two sides of a debate, collect data, and formulate an opinion based on facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment