Thursday, September 6, 2012

Judges

Joshua ended on such a good note, that I have found Judges rather disappointing. When Joshua ended the Israelites had finally entered the Promised Land.  Joshua dies however left them with good advice, "You are not able to serve the Lord. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins.  If you forsake the Lord and serve foreign gods, he will turn and bring disaster on you and make an end of you, after he has been good to you."
I don't think it gets much clearer than that. Of course over the course of Judges this information must have been forgotten, they also forgot to pass the stories and advice to their children.  Judges seems to be one story after another of sin and rebellion followed by punishment.  If Judges would be made into a movie it would be a gruesome war movie.

Deborah was one of the highlights of the book for me. The footnotes in my Bible says "Wise leaders are rare.  They accomplish great amounts of work without direct involvement because they know how to work through other people. They are able to see the big picture that often escapes those directly involved, so they make good mediators, advisers, and planners"  

Deborah listened to God and lead the people into battle to kill Sisera. Although the story tells you Sisera would fall to the hands of a woman and like a good movie makes you believe it will be Deborah.  But it wasn't Deborah it was another woman.  I won't tell you who, I don't want to spoil the ending.

The book of Judges was an alright read, but not my favorite and I am ready to leave all the sin for Ruth. I heard it is calmer.  I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment