This book seems to me a lot like a slide show following a big event. In this case they are standing right outside the Promised Land. This is not the kind of joyful slide show like ones seen at FFA Banquets showing all the highlights of positive things and accomplishments. This slideshow as told by Moses with no pictures was more like, this is where you screwed up. This slide show is detailing a 40 year journey that should have only taken 11 days. Does anyone else feel they are on that journey? I am trying to listen more clearly because although I know my journey to the Promised Land has already taken me longer than 11 days, I most certainly hope God does not leave me wandering in the desert for 40 years.
Things to consider from Moses in Deuteronomy to get to the Promised Land more quickly:
1. No rebelling against God - Do the job he asks you to do immediately.
2. Obedience - 4:2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.
3. Love God - 6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
4. Do not forget the Lord - 8:2 Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.
5. Tithes - 14:22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. I believe these can be in time, treasure or talent.
6. Giving to the poor - 15:10 Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
Well this should be easy! ;) Good luck on your journey to your Promised Land.