Monday, June 25, 2012

a memory of a cattle farm

When walking into my grandma's kitchen, a cattle farmer's wife (A Tribute to Farmers' Wives), you would see this on her counter:


I now have one on the back of my kitchen counter, a memory for this cattle farmer's wife.


Out of curiosity I tried to search for the carcass design online.  However, I had no luck.  If anyone knows where this originated I would love to hear the story.

I also was wondering how close the percentages were to today.  I found this information from Washington State Department of Agriculture.

Beef

Expect 130 lbs front quarter from a 900 lbs heifer or steer A side from such an animal will weigh about 270 lbs (540 lb carcass).

Take-home meat to expect from a 130 lb. beef front quarter

(Trimmed cuts as usually found at retail)
CutsWeightPercent
Rib roast, steaks12 lbs9%
Boneless stewmeat6 lbs4%
Short ribs4 lbs3%
Hamburger38 lbs27%
Chuck roast, steaks37 lbs26%
Meat total97 lbs69%
Bone, fat & trimmings43 lbs31%

Take-home meat to expect from a 140 lb. beef hind quarter

(Trimmed cuts as usually found at retail)
CutsWeightPercent
T-bones, club steak18 lbs14%
Sirloin steaks, roasts16 lbs12%
Round steaks or roasts29 lbs22%
Rump roasts (boneless)8 lbs6%
Flank steak2 lbs2%
Ground beef16 lbs12%
Meat total88 lbs68%
Bone, fat & trimmings42 lbs32%

No comments:

Post a Comment