Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anytime is a good time to buy more cows!

Tonight's lesson from beef school - it is a great time to buy more cows.  I really think that anytime you have extra money and a place to put them is a great time to buy more cows.  The experts confirmed that tonight.  When I was teaching, kids would ask me what I would do if I won the lottery.  I would say buy more cows.  They laughed and said - no really what would you buy.  Then one of my older students would say - she is serious.

The sad story is cow numbers are decreasing and severe drought in Texas and Oklahoma is really changing the cow numbers, farmers/ranchers lives, and the market.  I remember working a lot of Texas cattle this summer at the feedlot and thinking it was sad that we were capitalizing on other peoples miss fortune.  When droughts and floods ruin the lives of other farmers and decrease their profits - it is sad and discouraging.  If you aren't in the drought stricken part of the country you really are taking advantage of others misfortune.  This is sometimes the sad reality of agriculture business.

I  hope the best for the beef producers in drought areas and hope as a country we can maintain cow numbers and the ability to produce a product consumers will love.

No comments:

Post a Comment