Sunday, October 21, 2012

If you grew up on a farm you did this . . .

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you grew up on a farm or near a farm you have been recruited or required to pick up rocks.  Picking up rocks through recently harvested fields allows protection of the equipment, for following years.  Jake asked me today if I thought more or less rocks are picked up today then 5, 10, 25 or 50 years ago.  That would be some useless research, that I am almost positive has never been done.  But, I said more. Jake asked "why?" I said, "because with Gators and Polaris Rangers, it is just so much easier to move across the fields and pick up rocks".  That is the science I am using.  Jake thinks we are picking up less rocks, because of our conservation practices, specifically no-till.  His logic is less rocks are coming to the surface because we are not turning the soil. What do you think?







No comments:

Post a Comment